Image Map

Saturday 20 August 2022

HAIR STORY ..........


Two posts in a week ..... that's something for me !


I've had long, straight hair pretty much all of my life Throughout my childhood, it was mostly in a ponytail, swishing backwards and forwards as I walked. It wasn't anything special ..... it was also mousey in colour ! By about the third form in Senior school, the pony tail was ditched as I was now a teenager of the 60's and wanted to look like Patti Boyd ! 
My hair remained that way as I left school, stayed the same in further education and then the big, outside world beckoned and I had to find a job ! 
Lucky me landed a job in Mount Street in Mayfair ..... one of the poshest streets in London. Paul McCartney and the like would buy their suits from Dougie Hayward and celebrities/MP's would all dine in Scotts restaurant. Residents bought their meat from Allens of Mayfair { which opened in 1830 .... sadly it closed in 2015 } and purchased their cigars from Sautters. 
My bosses were a husband and wife couple and, for my birthday, they paid for me to have my hair highlighted and cut at Michaeljohn ..... Michael & John met when they were hair stylists at Leonards { he who did the famous haircut for Twiggy } They attracted celebrities including Mick Jagger and even Princess Anne. I was only about 19 so it was pretty special to have my hair done there. I doubt Michael or John did my hair but it didn't matter ..... it was still amazing ! 
A few years later, London was even more swinging and, the place to have your hair done was Smile , Brompton Road, Knightsbridge. Smile was owned by Keith Wainwright and his two partners Lesley Russell and Paul Owen. Clients included Roy Wood, The Move, Cat Stevens, The Walker Brothers and Elton John. Keith worked with chemists  and hair technicians  to create unnatural hair colours which were later popularised by the British punk movement. So, my next birthday present was an appointment with Paul at Smile ! 
I worked in Mount Street for quite a few years and then went on to get married and have children. Highlights continued up until this day and I think I have been to most of the hairdressers in the surrounding area of my home !!! But, for the last fifteen years I have had the same guy highlight and cut my hair. During Covid, things went a bit wrong for him and he had to close his salon, but, during this past year, he came to our home and did our hair. Then, he started to work for a hairdresser quite a long way from us so I needed to find another hairdresser. A friend that I have known for many years has highlights and said her hairdresser was very good. I booked an appointment even though a mutual friend had made an appointment there but didn't even cross the threshold as she didn't like the look of it !!!!
WELL ..... I went yesterday ! I arrived dead on time ..... dusty, old plastic flowers sat on the reception desk and about seven old { I know I'm old but these ladies were OLD } sat having perms ..... they all had those tiny little rollers in, some were still having the rollers put in , some were sat under those old fashioned dryers. One lady was being helped by two other ladies to the wash basin. I did think how the mighty have fallen { joke } but, I didn't run away !!! I actually thought how brilliant it was that these ladies still wanted to look nice and have their hair done. 
The girl who did mine was Polish, young and very friendly. More and more old ladies arrived for perms ..... it was like a perm conveyor belt ..... I did think it would have made for a brilliant sit com or play ! 
Well ..... here is the result .....




I am SO pleased with it ..... she got rid of the brassiness and, I've been telling my last hairdresser it looked a bit ginger on the ends which he said was how my hair took the colour ..... she got rid of that. It's a bit darker around the front but she said she will add a little more blond next time. I think when you stay with the same hairdresser they get in a rut. It just goes to show that all the frills and frippery of a posh salon doesn't always mean it's better ..... oh, and the other thing was that it was about half the price .....
RESULT !!!


XXXX






Jackie

26 comments:

  1. I had a girlfriend who lived at Newgate in London, where there was a proper old gents barber run by a few old men right next to the station. She went in there one day with a copy of Vogue and showed them a photo of a model's hair-do which was really trendy, with a hidden little peak of hair at the back dyed bright red. They said no problem and copied the cut exactly. It cost her about £5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A perfect example Tom ..... one of the stylists yesterday said a teenage boy came in wanting a perm { apparently lots of younger actors/celebs have got perms .... its trendy } He said he had been to trendy salons but they don't do perms or even know how to do them ! The stylist was an older lady and she said they don't even teach perming at college anymore which is silly as everything comes back in fashion eventually ! So that's why the boy sought out an older salon ! XXXX

      Delete
  2. Just like my girl, her own salon in a small town backwater but she's a great colourist, the best I have ever had. Your hair looks great. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you when I was having it done. Years ago I went to Toni and Guy .... they were terrible, used loads of bleach and my hair ended up in really bad condition ..... it took ages to get it back ! Thanks Rachel ..... I always think your colour looks lovely. XXXX

      Delete
  3. What a story !!….but your hair is beautiful…love that color…..happy weekend love Ria πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€And Leaf 🐾🐾

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Ria ..... I did go on a bit about my hair history !!!!! 🀣🀣🀣 ..... I'm so pleased with the colour. Enjoy your weekend πŸ’• XXXX

      Delete
  4. Your hair looks a beautiful colour in that photo. What a lucky find, a hairdresser who is good and half the price.
    I only have mine cut and that seems to be very expensive. I have never coloured my hair... just have some natural silver highlights now!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JayCee ..... I'm really pleased with it. I wouldn't have your hair coloured ..... its expensive and a lifetime commitment ! Yours looks lovely as it is and I have always liked to see a few silvery natural highlights ..... it looks really pretty.

      Delete
  5. The Holy Grail! finding a hairdresser who does what you want at a reasonable price and does it well.....it's never 'just hair' to women is it? Yours looks fabulous x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Libby ..... first of all, I used to comment on your blog ..... did you leave blogging or have I been an awful blogging friend and not been commenting on your blog ? I'm so sorry if that is the case.
      I am so pleased with the colour ..... I think we can all be snobby about hairdressers and think we need to go to the ones in the best street that look really smart but, that's not true ..... if the hairdresser is good it doesn't matter where they work does it ? I'm definitely going back there. Thanks so much for the comment Libby. XXXX

      Delete
    2. Oh please don't apologise Jackie! I stopped blogging for a while and now blog at LibbySaidOK. x

      Delete
    3. I'll make sure that I pop on over to LibbySaidOk !! XXXX

      Delete
  6. What a great salon. Your hair color looks lovely and natural. You've found a skilled and talented new hairdresser. I'd like to think their salon will do very well. Talent and reasonable cost is a good business model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Susan, it was a bit rough around the edges but, who cares if you get a good result and even better that it's cheaper ?!!! My friend, who has been going there for a while now, reckons it might close down soon. The old ladies that go there still want to pay 1960's prices !!!! Let's hope they don't close down as I shall have to find somewhere else ! XXXX

      Delete
  7. Oh, fabulous, Jackie!! I love a hair story and I love your happy result. Your bosses were dream employers and knew just how to treat someone in a way you've never forgotten :)

    I was a tad apprehensive when I was scrolling down and saw the top of your chandelier - I thought for a moment it was going to be a photo of you hooked up to an ancient perm machine, hahaha!!! Your Polish stylist must have been delighted to break out of the perming production line for a change. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some great experiences working there Pip ..... went to some wonderful restaurants and learnt a great deal about life !
      I was getting a bit worried that I would end up on the perm conveyor belt but, all was well. XXXX

      Delete
  8. Keith Wainwright cut my hair once, I can't remember the occasion but Justin (my business partner) and Twigs (his muse) were there, and Keith simply looked at my hair and started snipping. He did a very good job too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've replied to you Cro but it's at the bottom of the comments ...... I put it in the wrong place !!! XXXX

      Delete
  9. Looks awesome Jackie - so glad you continue to find satisfaction in older businesses and decor! Now I see why you say we have similar tastes - I first thought this photo was taken in my house, haha!
    So, my stylist has taken care of my changing hair issues for about 20 years. Suzi has been perfect for me and was a great colorist when I was a redhead! Now that I'm in the ranks of the 'silver gals' thanks to COVID, she helped me transition quite easily by cutting alone, never adding color, just helping me be patient over the 18 months it took. I'm loving my short wash and run style - no hot appliances anymore - saving a lot of money, and I get good comments on my natural hair color and how it suits me. I will never consider a perm though, and with a good cut that isn't really necessary.
    Loved your essay on the salons. My biggest shock ever was walking into a well known salon in Selfridge's on a trip home some years ago. I requested a shampoo and blow out for my bob and was quoted something crazy like over £125! I said I just needed to go tell my husband where I was - and I never went back, haha!
    Lovely to see you here as always! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have many similar interior pieces don't we Mary ? It's lovely that you still love the way Suzi does your hair and, I would love not to have highlights but, I haven't really got much grey and my natural colour has got darker over the years and is a bit dowdy so the highlights brighten it up. Because I was going to write about Michaejohn, I looked him up. He died but there is still a Michaeljohn salon ..... I think a cut was about £350..... ridiculous. I don't blame you for not going back to Selfridges ..... I guess it has always been the same though ...... if you want a cut at a prestigious salon in London, you have to pay high prices ..... thank goodness my bosses paid for mine all those years ago.

      Delete
  10. I had a feeling you would know who I was talking about ..... they were lovely at Smile ...... we must have moved in similar circles although I think you experienced more than me !!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That comment was for Cro ..... I put it in the wrong place !! XXXX

      Delete
  11. It looks very, very lovely, Jackie! You were brave to cross that threshold - and the result is very convincing!
    (In Berlin in 2020 two (!) hairdressers refused to change my natural hair colour - the second said, the only colour he would change it to was complete white - I said: "A few years later I'll get that without paying 220 Euros"- and he laughed..)
    I do love your cut too - long hair can look very becoming on women of a certain age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Britta ..... I'm glad I braved it ..... I'm so pleased with it ..... it looks so much more natural now. I've had long, straight hair all of my life and I think I'm too old to change now !!!!! I always ask the hairdresser if they think its still OK for me to have long hair and they have always said yes ..... so far ! I love what you said to your hairdresser ..... you might as well wait ..... so much cheaper and, you always look lovely. XXXX

      Delete
  12. The results are pretty. Yes, those old ladies (like me) still like to take a bit of trouble to look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also old Terra and I think most of us try our best to look as good as we possibly can !!!! I shall be going back there as I was so pleased with the result..... and, the older ladies were lovely and very interesting to talk to. XXXX

      Delete