Image Map

Tuesday 7 July 2009

Victorian Splendour..........

I'm going to give you all a special treat today. I don't normally share this house with anyone but, as you have all been so nice to me out there, I am going to show you one of my favourite houses ( actually , at one point it was my favourite house of all time, but that's rather a bold statement to make, as I've seen a few others that could earn that special title ). It's located in a prestigious part of London called St. Johns Wood and I will have to do it in three parts as I have quite a few pictures and it is worthy of more than one post. Some of you will not like it at all and don't be afraid to say. I like to know what you all think. It is very over the top.
Well, here goes.....,.....
Part One....................



There is quite a bit going on in here but I think it captures Victorian splendour with a modern twist as it's still quite light but sumptuous. I don't think that I would have thought of putting a garden parasol in my living room, would you ? But, it works so well.


This is dining with elegance. I don't normally like pink but they have mixed two dusty, old rose chairs with the three grey chairs, which has just given the room some warmth.

This room combines lots of my favourite things. Massive Victorian windows, original shutters, old lace and wooden floorboards.


Beautiful old lace, beaded wall lights and washed white floorboards, and look at that ceiling !



And finally today for part one, how do you all fancy washing in this basin ? I hope that I haven't lost some of you as friends after sharing this house with you. It is a bit of a departure from the more Scandinavian, cleaner lines of yesterdays post but I think that we can all take elements of lots of different styles to make interesting living spaces, don't you ? This isn't what I would have. You would need a cleaner everyday 'cause I certainly wouldn't want to do it !! But it appeals to me so much. Must be the actress in me !!
I hope that you have enjoyed sharing this house with me and, for those of you who are not so keen on it, please come back and see me again, as I will show other rooms that you will like. I can't wait to hear what you all think.
Jackie


15 comments:

  1. I think it is all glorious. And very theatrical. A place to dream of travel and romance. Like others, I love the soothing scandinavian interiors, but I like this too. That's what is great about blogging. You can play with different styles .. without the commitment. Interesting post! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the 3rd photo best. The white covered chair looks homey and inviting. The photos reminded me of the "Phantom of the Opera". Different tastes and styles is what makes the world and other people interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THank you for your lovely comment! I adore the textures and fabrics here... BeautifuL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh, they are all so cool, who can decide???
    m ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a charming place, great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great pictures/blog! and thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of the lace.. and the ceiling..It's amazing...it's almost over the top ,but still manages to look and feel so romantic and dreamy. Never missing a detail..lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That first image makes me want to sink in for the day. Gorgeous detail!!! Love them all, really.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am inlove with the silk drapes in the dining area! The first picture.. I couldn't live there.. but I would LOVE to visit.. so much to look at and think about.. and the owner.. think of how much time and thought and collecting and years have gone into this home! That is what I love.. the self expression..

    ReplyDelete
  10. of course i think it is smashing !
    it has so much soul, and tells a story.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have the best taste...these pictures are so fun and unique.:) I just love that quote because it reminds me of my dad and my husband...i think they truly believe sports are a matter of life and death! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jackie ~ So happy to hear from you today! How can anyone not appreciate this homes beauty. My biggest design flaw is I adore so many styles that I can never make up my mind. The parasol indoors is divine. In that home it works. I cannot wait for more. Great post Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All of these photos are just so lovely- can't choose my favorite :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Jacquie - you've really thrown a cat amongst the pidgeons with this post! I think this home is the background set for a very flamboyant individual to live out their life & goodness knows the world needs more people like this. If you were lucky to gain an invitation to visit, I reckon you'd be chomping at the bit to get back there again! Thank you for all your lovely comments over @ The Hedge, they were just delightful!
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jackie...
    The second photo with the gray and soft pink chairs....that one does it for me! Thanks for stopping by and leaving kind words....so glad you did...as now I am here and will follow your posts...
    Take care, Laura

    ReplyDelete