Image Map

Friday 23 August 2024

THE ART TEACHER ..........








Following on from my last post, I was reminded of a memory of my school days. 
My favourite subject was Art at school. I think that I was reasonably good at it { I did get A Level Art a year early } so, as an eleven year old starting Senior School, I was looking forward to my Art classes. 
I went to a very academic school where Art was thought to be the Devil Incarnate. It was a large Grammar School with over a thousand pupils and there were only two Art teachers. Mr. C. was our art teacher for the first five years .{ I'm not sure of the protocol of naming people { even though I'm sure he is dead by now } so I will refer to him as Mr. C.} He was a short, portly man who, to an eleven year old, seemed pretty old but he was probably in his late forties. He had a moustache, wore a threadbare tweed jacket with leather elbow patches, stained trousers { relevant !!! } half concealed by his chalk soiled black gown. His crowning glory was a comb-over of a few greasy hairs. 
Embarking on the art assignment he had given us, we would all be at our desks, busily attempting to produce something equal to Rembrandt. After ten minutes into the class, Mr. C. would rise from his desk at the front of the class and begin to walk around the desks to scrutinise our work. All of the girls knew what was coming ...... he would come up to us in turn, look at our work and offer advice, putting his arm around and over our shoulders and then, he would touch us up ! He did it to all of the girls. He never went any further { well, not to me or my friends } . It was just part of our school life and we all used to tell him to 'get off ' and would laugh about him after class. It didn't affect me in anyway apart from us schoolgirls laughing about him and calling him a dirty old man, but can you imagine what would happen to him nowadays ? .... and rightly so. None of us ever reported him, we just brushed it off. 
It was that thought of, if we reported him, it was his word against ours and no-one ever believed a schoolgirl over a teacher so it just wasn't worth it. I still see a friend who was with me at school and we often reminisce about pervy Mr.C. 
I wonder what happened to him and if he ever paid for his misdemeanours ? 
We did have the other Art teacher in the sixth form but he was useless ! My school didn't pull the stops out when it came to Art ! My friend, who failed her 11 plus, went to a brand new Secondary Modern school which had the best art department and art teachers and she went onto Art School and became a wonderful potter and Art teacher.
I think I might have done better to have failed my 11 plus ! { although, I did have a very good education apart from the art }



XXXX




Jackie

13 comments:

  1. Ugh. Pervy indeed. I was too much of a gawky ugly duckling to have attracted that kind of attention at school so perhaps I had a lucky escape!
    Our art teacher ignored those of us who enjoyed the subject but were lacking in talent so I mainly just scribbled away by myself. Happy Days!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think being perved on by dirty old { and sometimes young } men was the norm in the 60's and 70's { maybe it was worse in London ! } That's really sad that you were art ignored ...... you should have been given help and advice JayCee . XXXX

      Delete
  2. Funnily enough, the art teacher was the only decent person in my school. Sounds like you had a wrong 'un!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the luck of the draw isn't it Tom ? I would have liked to have persued art as a career but I didn't get any help at all. No regrets though. I had a really fun worklife in London in the 1970's ! XXXX

      Delete
  3. I won't comment on his behaviour because I will probably get it all wrong. However it was the time it was is all I will say. I went to a school where art was the devil and only did it for one year as an 11 year old and then it was Latin and no more art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His behaviour was out of order and that's all there is to say ! It was of it's time and we just got on with it. I had experiences at work and just took it but it wasn't right, although it seems to have gone full circle and some cry rape when someone just looks at them ! We all had to do art in the first year then it was a choice between art, domestic science, woodwork or metalwork { I have a feeling that only the boys could choose woodwork and metalwork but i might have remembered that wrongly ! XXXX

      Delete
  4. I had a wonderful Art Teacher at my upper school. I later became an Art Teacher myself, but always behaved 'correctly'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that you were very correct Cro ....... we all just put up with it then talked about him after class !!! XXXX

      Delete
  5. Perving went on everywhere. When I worked in an office, I found it creepy how many of the older men put their arms around young typists and secretaries. I thought it wrong, but it was often the norm. The girls seemed to laugh it off, but I've since wondered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did Tasker ....... Pippa just reminded me about flashers as well..... happened to me and my friends often. We all just brushed it off and forgot about it although, there were probably some girls that it affected more. If we had told anyone they wouldn't have done anything about it !!! XXXX

      Delete
  6. Hi Jackie, your old art teacher sounded revolting! I can really picture him! But it's interesting how any pervy behaviour we experienced as schoolgirls, thinking when we were in a group - like being flashed at on the train one day! - after being grossed out, we'd generally be rather derisive of the perpetrator, and I dare say never a parent or such was ever told. Hope all is well with you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was revolting Pip but, art was my favourite subject so I just had to get on with it as most girls had to in the 60's ! You reminded me about flashers as well ...... happened to me a few times and, like you say, we didn't tell any grown up ..... I think we knew that they wouldn't have done anything about it anyway ! Things plodding along thanks Pip ...... not easy though. XXXX

      Delete
  7. Perverts come in many forms. In the 80's at my son's middle school school there was a guy coaching the girls field hockey team and he enjoyed ordering the girl's costumes and touching bottoms. The parents all knew and just laughed. The girls went along... What could they do when parents thought it was funny? I remember thinking it all quite odd. Not having a daughter, I was not directly involved.

    ReplyDelete