Image Map

Wednesday 20 June 2018

THE KIFTSGATE ROSE ..........



Rosa ' Kiftsgate ' is an extremely vigorous rambling rose, bearing masses of small, single cream-white flowers with a strong musk fragrance, followed by red, oval shaped hips .....



It is ideal for growing through large trees  so we planted one about four years ago to ramble through the tree that we planted in 1987 just after the Great Storm when we were all asked, if we could, to plant a tree to replace the hundreds { thousands ? } that fell during that storm.
 I wouldn't recommend the Kiftsgate for a small garden ....


 ..... along with the Great White Shark and the Bengal Tiger, Rosa fillips ' Kiftsgate ' should be avoided by all sensible human beings !!!
Every 4 inches or so, it is embellished with the biggest and sharpest thorns you have ever encountered and you risk life and limb if you should need to prune it !!! We are lucky enough to be able to let it run away into the tree ..... it is vicious.



..... but, it smells divine , looks so pretty when bought into the house, and it's open, single flowers are attracted to bees . 


It looks like a cascading waterfall amongst the trees and is equally as beautiful when you bring some inside. 


It is so easy to take cuttings ..... most will take if you just stick cuttings into the ground ..... 
BUT .....
only give them away to people that you don't like !!!








Jackie

22 comments:

  1. I've always had problems with Roses; they don't seem to like me. I would like a rigorous, rambling, blood red, Rose on the front of the house, but I'm sure it would die. I love yours too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try one Cro ..... the worst that can happen is that it will die but you could end up with something beautiful ....... Crimson Shower, Rambling Rosie or Etoile de Hollande might be a good one for the front of your house. XXXX

      Delete
  2. A friend of mine grew the top one (Kiftsgate?) around the door of his Georgian townhouse. A year later he was up a ladder cutting it back down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ... the Kiftsgate .... that's the problem with it ... it's rampant and should only be grown away from the house and up a tree .... he must have been torn to ribbons when he cut it down ! I was going to send you some night scented stock plants but I can't find any !!!! XXXX

      Delete
  3. I remember you writing about this rose last year. I can't remember what I said in comment but I will say that it sounds like a nice rose and especially so as you say it smells divine. So many climbing roses have no scent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bugger ..... I didn’t think anyone would remember ...... new photographs though ( except the last one ) XXXX

      Delete
    2. It's such an unusual name, at least to me! But I am happy to see it again and it truly does make a beautiful tumbling show. I am sure I often repeat posts and don't even know I am doing it xxx

      Delete
    3. You can visit Kiftsgate Gardens in The Cotswolds ..... theirs are magnificent ! XXXX

      Delete
  4. Beautiful as it cascades . . .
    outside . . . inside . . .
    thorns . . . not as enjoyable . . .
    I do have a large tree though . . .
    hmmmmm . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s lovely Lynne and fine if you don’t need to touch it !!!! XXXX

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful roses!!.....wowwww....love from me enjoy summer ...love Ria x 💕

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ria .... hope you are enjoying the Summer as well 💕 XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful are those roses and they look so inocent in that jug! I would've asked you for cuttings but, I take it that if someone gives you roses with thorns then they don't like you. :)
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it means that you are giving them a rose that will take over your garden Maria and that they would be a bit cross that you ever introduced it into their garden !!! ( forgive me if you knew that and were joking !! )
      Lots of love . XXXX

      Delete
    2. Oh I see, it's for its invasivity and not for the thorns. Thank you Jackie. xx

      Delete
    3. I think that you only give it to people that you don’t like for that reason Maria ...... if they have a small garden it will take over and smother everything and they will bleed to death from the thorns !!!! 🤣😱 XXXX

      Delete
  8. I WANT IT!!!!!
    MY COLOURS!!!!!!!!
    XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely Elizabeth but very invasive ! XXXX

      Delete
  9. Thank You for sharing your article, This is an interesting & informative blog. It is very useful for the developer like me.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow !!! absolutely fantastic blog. I am very glad to have such useful information.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete