Image Map

Monday 16 August 2021

MAINTENANCE ..........





One of the downfalls of an old house is that they need lots of money spending on them, maintaining all of the boring things ..... we are having the pointing redone under the bay windows and the concrete plinths were crumbling so they are being done as well. We had the house painted about 7 years ago when we had a new roof but the windowsills need doing again.....



Some of the original air bricks were broken so I researched where I could get some new ones. I wanted to keep the original pattern and found some reproduction ones from the Cast Iron Air Brick Company .....



Here they are ..... same pattern as the originals ..... they had many patterns to choose from but I wanted the original and, guess what ? All of the other patterns were £25.00 each but, my pattern are £50.oo each !!! I bought them though ..... I want to put back what Walter Waller { who I told you about who built our house } had put in. 




Right next to one of the bay windows was a St Swithuns rose. We put it in about thirty years ago and it has been lovely but, over the past few years hasn't been so good ..... it gets black spot, other diseases, the blooms seize up when it rains and its high maintenance  so we decided to take it out. As it has been in the ground for such a long time, I thought that the roots were probably on their way to Australia and needed a young, strong man /woman to dig it out for me. BUT, always wanting things done yesterday, I toddled out at 8.00 a.m on Sunday morning, just to have a little dig and see what was what !!! I managed to dig a fair way down to assess the root situation { even with a broken right elbow } . Mr Home , brandishing heavy duty loppers, cut through the massive roots and, we managed to get it out !!!! Some roots are left in the ground but I think that was inevitable. I have potted it up to see if it will survive and, if it does, I shall plant it somewhere else. See the information label ? ..... that was buried underground and has been there for over thirty years !




BUT ..... I managed to inflict a big, weeping blister on the palm of my left hand and cut my left little finger ! The bandage was just to protect it as I painted some of the original air bricks this morning .....

It's amazing what you can do with a broken right elbow, numb fingers, a thumb and index finger joint that won't work, a blister and a cut little finger ..... I don't think it's my year on the domestic accidents front !

XXXX








Jackie

21 comments:

  1. Oh you are a naughty girl Jackie - we are we going to do with you injuring yourself constantly!!!!! I know how it is though, we like to get on with all these pressing things that pop up around the house even when we should be lounging on the sofa with a good book and a glass of something well chilled and bubbly on these hot days. . . . .or blogging and commenting which sadly I'm behind with lately! August is such a miserable month here in the southeast weatherwise, I just have a hard time doing the outdoor stuff. Today we are shrouded in mist and 100% humidity - who the heck wants to be out in that.........summer day, no way!
    Please take care of these injuries, and stay where you are safe and can recuperate.
    Sending hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very naughty Mary …. I am constantly being told off by everyone that I shouldn’t be doing these things but it’s so frustrating ! …. And sitting on the sofa is lovely for a while and then it starts to get boring !! I need to be doing things.
      I don’t know how you manage in the temperatures you get and 100% humidity ….. that is definitely when the sofa beckons along with a nice cold drink ! I am now putting my feet up today and taking it easy ….. hugs back to you both. XXXX

      Delete
    2. What has your government done to help save you from your financial instability? you strive to survive and yet you hear stories of how your leaders have become terror in your entities... is time to make a different. for will have made money, and we have also come to help you out from your long time of financial suffering. clearing of credit card is made available, software for hacking ATM machines, bank to bank hacking and transfer, change your school grade and become something useful in the society. we also have other form of services such as Facebook hack, whats-app hack, twitter hack, i cloud hack, tracking of smart phones, hacking CCTV, installation of software on desktop and PC, snap-chat hack, Skype hack, wire wire, bitcoin account hack, erase your criminal record and be free for ever. database hack and many more. e-mail: cyberhackingcompany@gmail.com for your genuine hacking services and we shock we your findings.  

      Delete
  2. Yikes. You are a walking accident black spot!
    Today over here it is definitely a day for staying indoors, curled up on the sofa with a book and a hot drink. Our summer didn't hang around too long this year.
    Your comments about keeping up with the maintenance on an old house struck a chord with me as we are in the process of buying one that was built in 1851. It does look as though it has been very well maintained though, but the survey should reveal all we hope!
    Take care of yourself Jackie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh JayCee …. I didn’t want to worry you !!! To reassure you, we have lived here for 37 years and nothing terrible has needed doing …. Just general repairs which modern houses also need. Old houses are usually much sturdier as well. We have had rain on and off today so I have been taking it easy and keeping out of trouble 🤣 XXXX

      Delete
  3. Like you, I need projects. Doing nothing is just not in our DNA! I totally understand your effort to dig up the rose bush and the satisfaction of getting the job done which is wonderful. Chances are the rose bush will revive and bloom again in a new spot. Your restoration projects will make your home perfect and I suspect that will bring you great pleasure. I love your new air bricks and finding a perfect match is pure perfection. Good job all around. A little salve on the hand and it will be good as new...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You understand Susan !!!! Sitting down after removing the Rose was very satisfying. I did dig over the bed it was in and it is now ready for something new when all the pointing and painting is finished. Something to think about. Hand will be fine in a few days. XXXX

      Delete
  4. Oh, brava, Jackie!! Such industry for a walking wounded! Your new vents are beautiful and it's all going to look like new! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m a bit silly to do some of these things Pip but I can’t just sit day after day !!! The Victorians/Edwardians tried to make everything beautiful …. Even the air bricks ! I love that about them. XXXX

      Delete
  5. We are currently totally refurbishing our Brighton home. New kitchen, bathroom, windows, carpets, paintwork throughout, etc. My other house will also be re-done throughout, with new Kitchen and bathroom etc, before being re-let. Very stressful, but luckily we have a very efficient son in the UK.

    There is a very nice yellow rose named after an ancestor; it's called Lady Banks. My father had one that he used to take from house to house. When he tried to dig it up from our house in Surrey, he pricked his hand, and it swelled to the size of a football. He left it where it was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cro …. That’s really exciting about your house renovations. Hopefully we will get a glimpse when you return. Your poor fathers hand …. No wonder he left the Rose where it was !!! XXXX

      Delete
  6. I am glad you can do things again....like your new vents ...love from me Ria 🍀🍀🍀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ria ….. the vents are pretty aren’t they ? 💕 XXXX

      Delete
  7. And it wasn't even Friday the 13th!
    Take care for the rest of August

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha …. I’ll try but I’m not promising ! Last Friday was the 13th wasn’t it ? I stayed indoors and didn’t do anything dangerous just in case 😂🤣😂 XXXX

      Delete
  8. You amaze me . . . getting things done
    when one has been compromised with injury,
    gets to the point of. . . . get out there and do it ones self!
    I get that BUT be careful dear one . . .
    Please . . .
    (Looking forward to seeing “Old Rose” coming back to life!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t go too mad Lynne !!!! I just can’t sit around doing nothing.
      I am not holding out too much hope with the rose ….. had to cut most of the roots to get it out but, you never know….. I’ll keep you posted ! XXXX

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't do such things if you are in need of assignment writing service uk please contact Assignments Planet.

    ReplyDelete