Image Map

Sunday 15 October 2017

HIROMI with EDMAR CASTANEDA at SHOREDITCH TOWN HALL .....


On Friday evening, we went to see Hiromi { pianist } and Edmar Castaneda { harpist } at  Shoreditch Town Hall. It was now safe for me to go out in public and not frighten anyone !!!


Built in 1866, Grade 11 listed Shoreditch Town Hall is the epitome of Victorian vision. Designed to be the grandest Town Hall in London, it doesn't disappoint. From the imposing exterior to the council chambers with it's cove ceiling, stained glass and chandeliers. Up to the first floor you are met by the Assembly Rooms where Hiromi was playing. A stereotypical Victorian Music Hall complete with a stage and gilding of trumpets and violins, it was also the setting for the inquest into the last Jack the Ripper murder !!







Here is Hiromi at The Royal Albert Hall this year .....



..... and, this was my favourite piece , Moonlight, Sunshine, a piece she wrote in 2011 after the big earthquake in Japan ...... this was the only video that I could find of it ..... someone in the audience must have filmed it so it's a bit wobbly !!!




XXXX








image 1: via this is funky, image 2: via Ottawa jazz festival, videos from Youtube

Jackie

19 comments:

  1. I went to Shoreditch Town Hall to see amateur boxing in 1970. I remember the night very clearly.

    The Moonlight Sunshine piece is a wonderfully haunting sound. Glad you are getting out and about again Jackie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I read about the boxing ... my friends brother would have boxed there ... Vic Andreetti ... you might have even seen him !! It is a beautiful building. Am getting out and about again but I'm not in your league !!!! XXXX

      Delete
  2. I especially loved the last piece. I'm a huge fan of Ryuichi Sakamoto and she reminds me of Keith Jarrett (another favorite) in that she becomes the music. Wonderful night out. Glad you have recovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna and many thanks for your comment as I have been a little lax with mine !!!
      She was AMAZING. XXXX

      Delete
    2. Jackie I am very happy you are better again. Beautiful music, especially the second piece. Keith Jarrett is also one of my favourite, Donna. I went to see him in the Arena when he came here to Verona.
      Greetings Maria x

      Delete
    3. Thank you Maria ..... my face is nearly back to normal ..... if it was normal in the first place !!!!! haha !!!
      I had never heard of Hiromi but she is amazing. Hope you are feeling well Maria. XXXX

      Delete
  3. So envious! Also so happy to hear you are better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful James and the place was packed. They are both brilliant. XXXX

      Delete
  4. Wowwww this is great...glad you feeling better again....have a nice week love Ria ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really great Ria .... lovely week to you too. XXXX

      Delete
  5. A remarkable musician. Oh how I wish I could even play my scales half-decently.

    Pleased to hear the paper bag has been removed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took piano lessons as a child but I messed about too much and had a dragon of a teacher !!!! Paper bag has been removed { even though some would prefer that I left it on !!!!! XXXX

      Delete
  6. NEVER HEARD of HER!
    How old is she...........?
    I enjoyed this very MUCH!
    HAPPY TO HEAR THE EYES ARE BETTER!!!!!!!!XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of her either Elizabeth ... she's 38 and played at The Proms this year.
      Face is near normal now !!! XXXX

      Delete
  7. what a delightful evening, I love old buildings and such history. I am so down on the news, we now have such an wave of drugs and find out the Govt let it happen.
    I miss Renee so much. Have a beautiful fall season Jackie. hugs yvonne in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like others, I especially love Moonlight Sunshine. These talented musicians are new to me. Hiromi is adorable - whomever took that photo of the two of them really captured her obviously vibrant personality!
    Glad you are getting out and about again - and I'm sure looking as lovely as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely loved that last number you shared too Jackie! I also love the insights you share about the beautiful buildings and sites you share of your lovely country! You know how much I would love to travel there someday. So
    glad to hear your face is not so scarey now, so nobody would wonder if you were a ghost of one of Jack's victims! :)))
    sending love...

    ReplyDelete