Image Map

Saturday 20 May 2017

APRIL in MAY ..........



After a reasonably warm and dry April, we are now enjoying many April showers in May !!!!




Early this week, I decided to throw caution to the wind and plant out my gypsophila plants, despite the fact that there are still two weeks to go until the end of May !!! I know, daring is my middle name !!!! They had all been very happy and warm in the greenhouse and then were subjected to wind and whole days of rain !!



..... now look at the poor little things !!! They have been battered by the constant rain to within an inch of their lives.
Hopefully they will perk up and I will be able to show you the magnificent display that they will make in a few week's time ..... fingers crossed !!!




My sweet peas also took a bashing ..... I apologise to all of you who don't use slug pellets but, I have tried every alternative known to man { eggshells, nutshells, ash and cinders, sawdust, sandpaper, grit and gravel, sharp sand, hair, steel wool, pine needles and copper } and none of them work !! ..... BUT, I have found these that are O.K to wildlife, birds, pets and children and are taken underground by the slugs and any that are left, feed the soil so all is happy and good. 





This morning was beautiful ..... clear blue skies and sunshine but it's now raining again .....

SO .....

All I can do now is to enjoy a bit of hoppipolla until the showers go away.

Don't forget your brollies ..... it's definitely April in May !!!


XXXX







image 1: via ana-lee, image 2: via etsy, images 3, 4 & 5: via me, image 6: via pinterest, image 7:via tumblr

Jackie
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

20 comments:

  1. Oh dear, poor plants having to fend off such horrible weather! I hope they flourish despite their adverse circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nick .... hopefully, they will recover and produce a magnificent display !!! XXXX

      Delete
  2. Jacqueline, a perfect, beautiful post. Our weather is stormy too. I'm wishing for a quite long bit of sunshine. But, before too long, I'll be bitching about the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are never happy with our lot are we Donna ..... I think that we are all the same. XXXX

      Delete
  3. What is it with the wind and rain in the Spring of 2017 . . .
    Blowing me away . . . here in Michigan . . .
    Poor little plantings . . let's hope . . . all will survive . . .
    In the meantime . . . hoppipolla indeed . . .
    Thank you for the smiles . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lynne, we seem to have had every weather scenario over the past few weeks but then, that's normal for the UK !!!
      Hopefully my little gypsophila plants with perk up !! XXXX

      Delete
  4. It is now ten to four and it has gone almost dark outside. Much rain and heavy now on the window. Cold wind all day necessitating woolly hat and winter coat when I went out although I did see some people in shorts! Plants and gardens? What are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been really cold hasn't it Rachel ?
      .... and I've seen people wearing shorts ..... not for me just yet, I'm still wearing my boots !!!!
      The garden is that big thing at the back of your house ..... you can't miss it !!!!! XXXX

      Delete
  5. If I didn't use Slug Pellets (wildlife friendly ones) I wouldn't have a single flower or vegetable. Death to Slugs and Snails.

    Weather getting better by the day here, and 30 C temperatures are forecast for all of next week. I might even open the pool a few days earlier than usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor would we Cro ...... over the years the slug/snail situation has improved in our garden as we have zillions of frogs but we still have to use the slug pellets ! XXXX

      Delete
  6. Dear Jackie, we did a few days hoppipolla because of real summer temperatures (28"C) - now you send some rain from England, they say :-)
    My yellow flower pepperweed ?), (Tropaeolum Minus) comes up well in a pot - on the balcony the slugs are far away. (Though I remember awfully well my fights with them in my garden).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased that you hoppipolla too Brittany ...... we are never too old for such things !!!!!
      Slugs and snails have always loved our garden ..... we have lots of hostas so, our garden is like a Michelin Star restaurant for them !!!!! XXXX

      Delete
  7. Jackie have you tried "feeding" salt to the slugs?
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha .... yes, I have done that but I find it a bit macabre Maria .... I feel as if I'm torturing them !!! Somehow, slug pellets don't feel so bad !! XXXX

      Delete
  8. Here we have beautiful weather ...this week...sitting outside ..enjoy it ...love from me Ria x ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are going to have a lovely week too Ria so I hope my little plants will be happy !!! XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a hey there..hello - happy spring <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Z and thanks for the hello ..... hope you're having a lovely Spring. XXXX

      Delete
  11. Oh Jackie just planted sweet peas also. Maine had weather in the 77 degrees a few weeks ago like SUMMER. Now it is 40 at night and 50 today with more rain on it's way. Hope you are bright eyed and bushy tailed today. Hugs Yvonne I was 80 in April. Old man time is here.

    ReplyDelete

  12. i really likes your blog and You have shared the whole concept really well. and Very beautifully soulful read! thanks for sharing.

    ผลบอลเมื่อคืน

    ReplyDelete