Image Map

Monday 16 January 2017

COUCH POTATO !!! ..........




I'm becoming a couch potato ... scratch that ... I AM a couch potato !!!
BUT, if you can't be one in the depths of winter, when can you be one ?!!



Watched the last in the series of Sherlock last night ... absolutely LOVE it even though I don't understand all of it !!! It needs to be watched a few times for it all to sink in but, I amazed myself by understanding it last night ... but, I don't care if I don't get it all ... I just adore it , from the casting to the filming ... I am entranced !! Please, please, please let there be another series next year.



I followed that with The Dressmaker ... Kate Winslet, Judy Davis and Liam Hemsworth ... revenge, love, forgiveness, murder and everything in between, set in Australia ... really enjoyed it ...



When The Dressmaker finished around 2.30 a.m, I turned over to Eurosport to watch The Australian Open live from Melbourne ... had to wait until 4.30 a.m for Andy Murray to start his campaign but there were other matches to see ... went to bed around 6.00 a.m and got up around 10.00 a.m !!! 



There is some good tele on at the moment ... my joint favourite with Sherlock is Taboo ... directed by Ridley Scott, it's written and produced by and stars Tom Hardy who plays James Delaney, who returns to England from Africa with fourteen stolen diamonds. Set in the early 1800's, he returns to avenge the death of his father. It is encircled by conspiracy, murder and betrayal and his struggle with The East India Company. Period setting ? ... check ... lots of frock coats ? ... check ... atmospheric London ? ... check !!! ... all set in houses just like Dennis Sever's ... check !!!
 If you are missing Sherlock, Mark Gatiss who plays Sherlock's brother Mycroft, plays the Prince Regent in Taboo along with Edward Fox, Tom Hollander, Johnathan Pryce and many other faces you will recognise.



Another good one is The Halcyon ... The Halcyon tells the story of a bustling and glamorous five star hotel at the centre of London society and a world at war. The drama, set in 1940, shows London life through the prism of war and the impact it has on families, politics, relationships and work across every social strata, all set to a soundtrack of the music of the era.

OK, so it has all been done before but the format is tried and tested and works. It is rather similar to Stephen Poliakoff's ' Dancing on the Edge ' but, that's ok ... we really are rather good at drama !!!

For the next fortnight you can think of me watching tennis through the night, drinking lots of coffee to stay awake !!




XXXX


image 1: via wasbella102, image 2: via metro, image 3: via daily motion, image 4: via australian open, image 5: via little white lies, image 6: via radio times

Jackie
SaveSave

32 comments:

  1. I've been binge watching Netflix. Do you have it there? I am taping Sherlock and Taboo as Tom Hardy is my favorite actor. I got hooked on him in The Consort playing some Lord/Duke to Queen Elizabeth I. I'll have to see if I can find the others. Homeland just returned last night so I had to tape Victoria and Sherlock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have Netflix here Donna but, at the moment, I don't really need it .... I can't watch everything that's on as it is !!! Our son has Netflix for the children and they only watch that. They don't watch a lot of television { unlike us !! }Sherlock was wonderful and, I think you will like Taboo ... it's very dark and dirty !! Tom Hardy is really good in it. I shall be interested to know if you like it ... let me know. XXXX

      Delete
  2. Enjoy......love happy week Ria x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was teary eyed at the end of Sherlock- also hoping for more but was glad it ended on such a good note if it has indeed ended :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So was I Z ..... it was quite emotional wasn't it ? I do hope there will be another series !! XXXX

      Delete
  4. And you can think of me all tucked up in bed asleep Jackie. I do hope we are not drifting apart.....xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be daft Rachel ..... you know me with my commenting ..... totally inconsistent !!!!! Thanks for commenting ..... I don't deserve it !!!! I'll be over to comment on yours !!
      Good we both got four goals at the weekend wasn't it ?!!!! XXXX

      Delete
    2. I was worried after last week! I am in bed now. Lots of interesting things going on in the world of art and literature but I dont watch much television so cant keep up with you here. But there is a mini league going on in the top six, I know that!xxx

      Delete
    3. NO !!!! I was just kidding last week !!! We are allowed to have a difference of opinion without falling out !! This is the trouble when we comment ..... we often read it wrong.
      I'm watching far too much tv at the moment because there is some good stuff on and I have stayed up to watch the tennis in Australia for years ..... I can only do it cos I don't have to go to work !!! XXXX

      Delete
  5. Just watched Sherlock and I bloody loved the fun and " off the wall" nature of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased that you liked it John ... Tom wasn't impressed !!!! You would probably like Taboo as well !! .... it sounds as if I've got shares in the BBC !!!! XXXX

      Delete
  6. I have been in my reading mode and have not watched much of anything . . .
    Hubs watched Sherlock . . .
    Enjoy tennis . . . and coffee . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got many books for Christmas Lynne so will be in my book mode as soon as the tennis is over !!!
      Enjoy your books .... let us know what you have been reading. XXXX

      Delete
  7. You are having fun, aren't you! I'll check out Taboo. Thanks for the recommendation. Enjoy the tennis!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taboo is brilliant Shawn .... as I said to Donna, it's all dark and dirty !!! Tom Hardy is brilliant ..... I love him in these period dramas .... he was a great Heathcliff. XXXX

      Delete
  8. I didn't know it was Ridley Scott who did Taboo. I was in his film 'The Duallists' and the dark moody trailers for Taboo reminded me of his sets. I shall have to watch it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo Cro .... can I have your autograph ? .... you have led such an interesting life .... were you in many other films and, if so, which ones ? I never like recommending programmes as we all like different things but, I am pretty sure that you will like it. I am a sucker for a period drama !!! XXXX

      Delete
    2. I was in 'The Party's Over'. I was also offered a good part in Chaplin's 'The Countess from Hong Kong' which was being filmed in Rome, but I couldn't spare the time.

      Delete
  9. Would love to watch/sleep/binge like you do Jackie but work interferes...roll on retirement! ps Mr Hardy visited the office my daughter works in recently...most of the women there were a little breathless and excited just to have him in the building! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to be on maternity leave soon so this list was perfect for me to add to my watch list during that time. I just wish I knew which platform they were each on so I could find them a little quicker. :) Thank goodness I have Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix so I'm sure I can catch most of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All perfect for watching whilst waiting Jennifer ...... wishing you a beautiful birth and many happy times with your imminent arrival. XXXX

      Delete
  11. I'm visiting my daughter & her 3 1/2 year old. There is nothing going on around here that resembles a couch potato, even when my favorite shows come on at night.
    However, they're worth it! My son=in=law is an angel !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you lots of fun with your family ( of all ages ) Marsha !! Enjoy your time with them. XXXX

      Delete
  12. HOW on earth can you stay up ALL NIGHT!!!!!!!!
    I couldn't DO THAT!
    SOUNDS like you enjoyed every moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often do it Elizabeth but only if there's something to stay up for !!!! I am a bit of a night owl !!! XXXX

      Delete
  13. As we say around these parts, almost all the good TV shows/movies come from the UK - and we admit to being wintertime couch potatoes too Jackie.
    Thanks for the heads up on these new ones - I'll be on the lookout for them being available over here - it often takes a while.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very good at drama aren't we Mary ?
      I think that you will like all of them ... I'm hooked !!! XXXC

      Delete
  14. I like the expression "couch potato"! ...and I'm popping in to say, hello Jackie.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria ..... it is a good expression but not so good being one !!!! Haha !! There's quite s lot of good television on at the moment .... nothing nicer in the winter !!
      Hope all's well with you and you are well. XXXX

      Delete
  15. Have to admit I haven't watched any of those! I don't watch a lot of home-grown TV these days, I find the various offerings rather disappointing. I've watched a lot of the Scandi noir series, which are excellent. Also The Affair on Sky Atlantic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete